Revival Guild Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revival Guild Forum

4 posters

Recent things, you should probably know about.

Youngcha
    Youngcha
    Respected Member
    Respected Member

Recent things, you should probably know about. Empty Recent things, you should probably know about.

Post by Youngcha 27.09.11 11:22

There seems to be a lot of questions going on around Maple lately, so i'm just going to answer the ones I can now. You're more than welcome try to pry more info out of me.

Maplestory User names and passwords are in PTT (Plain text, no encoding) This is why you can see your Username on MTS, which isn't something they can really "patch" they need to change their scheme that many networkers have urged them to do, even given the software and offered to do it for Nexon, mind you, the software is free.

When you trade someone in maple, or have a store/chat open, your IP and Mac are visible through a PTT stream. In a sense, you're linked to another person through the server, having the right software, you can see the persons info. Your username, is not shown through this.

Your username becomes visible through MTS because Maple story recognizes your UserID and not the character (It's this way to award NX to your account, not just the character) this also requires a nice bit of software.

The most alarming thing I found while surfing the web actually, is that when you put in a wrong password, the server error message actually is encoded with the right one.. Say you put in "iL!keapples12" and that's wrong, the server will hit a message that tells you "Username or Password is incorrect" If you decode that message with special software, the password iLikeapplez12 will be shown. This is NOT hard to do, first year college students should be able to decode this with ease.

Lastly, this is actually maple related.. (The actual game play mechanic)

Starting this Jump patch, you will lose 2% Drop and XP per level higher you are of your mob. This apparently does not take affect against mob above level 150+ and Boss's.

For more info go here which mostly sums it up, the twitter account also is a good source of info and for people who are not fimilar with networking to understand http://sleepywood.net/forum/showthread.php?s=81b483701594a9589d459e1c494b9cf0&t=1692636
    Hantz
    Hantz
    Darkseid
    Darkseid

Recent things, you should probably know about. Empty Re: Recent things, you should probably know about.

Post by Hantz 27.09.11 11:46

I get that Maple accounts are easy to hack. But are there any preventative measures we can take to lessen the chances of being attacked? I'm talking preventative measures beyond the commonly known ones.
    Youngcha
    Youngcha
    Respected Member
    Respected Member

Recent things, you should probably know about. Empty Re: Recent things, you should probably know about.

Post by Youngcha 27.09.11 11:51

Hantz wrote:I get that Maple accounts are easy to hack. But are there any preventative measures we can take to lessen the chances of being attacked? I'm talking preventative measures beyond the commonly known ones.

All the problems are really server side, there's a few tricks.. use a .edu email. They're typically more secure (If they try to take your email as well) I also use passwords that would throw off people from trying to brute force such as c:// and Listen is a password that more bruteforces can guess. But, most hackers aren't using brute forces due to how easy it is to just decode.
    Vee
    Honoured Member
    Honoured Member

Post by Vee 29.09.11 5:09

This does NOT make me eager to come back to Maple.
    RainbowAsh
    RainbowAsh
    Guild Member
    Guild Member

Post by RainbowAsh 20.12.11 15:52

Sorry to necro a topic, but seeing as I've just started truly playing more I found some more topics on a couple of Maple forums(namely Southperry and Sleepywood).

The info in this topic is super useful. I'm still hesitant about using store passes though.D:

But, I just wanted to add that there was apparently a leak of information in around April of this past year, so changing passwords often seems like a good idea to me.

Another way to not let them get full control that might be useful is Gmail. Use the two-step verification for either SMS text message or smartphone app. I think that might help in at least salvaging an account from what many believe to be meso farmers. :X

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content